Aug 10, 2022
It’s hard to believe this is my last Midweek Mindfulness as your Interim Pastor!
As our time together ends and we prepare for my last Sunday, know that I am grateful to God for the ministry we have shared and the fire that the Holy Spirit has lit at First Presbyterian. The future is always uncertain, but God is faithful and trustworthy.
Your care for my family during this time of transition has been so appreciated. I will be sure to send an update (with pictures!) to Diane once baby Charlotte arrives; after all, it is your prayers that helped her grow and have sustained us!
While I am on maternity leave, I will be actively seeking a new call and trusting that God will clarify the next steps for our family. Though my time as your pastor will come to an end, in only a few short weeks, Rev. Dr. Alex Wales will begin as your next Interim Pastor as you search for a full-time called and installed pastor.
I trust that Alex will be a good fit and know that he has all the skills and talent necessary to lead First Pres during the next phase of this journey. Here is a little more about him:
Alex Wales has been a Presbyterian minister for 48 years and has served churches in Pittsburgh, PA; Joplin, MO; Sarasota, FL; Warrensburg, MO for nearly 23 years, and has served as an interim pastor in Sedalia and Topeka. He received his undergraduate degree from Rutgers, an M.Div. from Princeton Seminary, and a Doctor of Ministry from Dubuque Theological Seminary. He has been married to Barbara for 39 years and has two adult children - son, Nathan a professor of Anthropology/Archeology at York University in Great Britain and a daughter, Emily, a lawyer who currently is the interim director of Planned Parenthood of the Great Plains. She and her husband, Nathan, who is also a lawyer (and yes, has the same name as our son) reside in Jefferson City and are the parents of our first grandchild who will turn 2 next March. Alex has served as a volunteer chaplain in the Northland since he and Barbara moved to Kansas City not too far from the Airport. Until the pandemic got under way, they enjoyed traveling and being with their grandson. Hopefully, they can return to doing so in the near future.
Worship will continue at 10:00 am for the next few weeks. You won’t want to miss a single service! Here is the schedule:
Sun, Aug 14th Pastor Kate’s last Sunday
Sun, Aug 21st Youth Sunday
Sun, Aug 28th Hymn Sing
Sun, Sept 4th Pulpit Supply and Communion
Sun, Sept 11th Kickoff Sunday: 2 services resume, Rev. Dr. Alex Wales begins
Until Pastor Alex arrives, your Stephen Ministers will be available for any congregational concerns that arise. Reach out to Sharon Pyburn or John Fields with any concerns and they will make sure to help get any care you need.
Know that I will be in prayer for your discernment and continued faithfulness and hope during this time of transition.
Grace & Peace,
First Presbyterian Church
Lee’s Summit, Missouri
P.S. A reminder that this coming Sunday, August 14 is my last Sunday with you. There will be a card shower and short reception after worship. Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and support. So grateful for our time together!
If you missed worship with us on Sunday, watch it on our YouTube channel here:
- Tomorrow, Aug 11th at 11:15 am join the Keenagers for a trip to Wayside Waifs to see all of the sweet pets and then out to lunch afterwards. Call the church office at 524-3933 to sign up. This event is traditionally for retired folks, but all are welcome!
- Our August / September Newsletter will come out the middle of August this month. If you have any announcements, articles, or additions, get them to Diane ASAP. (office@firstchurchLS.org)
- For the month of August, Mission Action Team is collecting items for the Back Snack program for Bernard Campbell Middle School. You can bring donations of nonperishable food items throughout the month of August (Mac-n-cheese, peanut butter, canned fruit, pancake mix, ramen noodles, canned meats, etc.).
- You can make a difference. Volunteer with Village Hospice. We’re ready for you! Next New Volunteer Training: Friday, August 12, 9am – 4pm (Please register by August 8) Villager Inn, 1001 NW Chipman Road, Room 271, Lee’s Summit, MO 64081
Lunch and educational materials provided at no charge.
Learn more or register: 816-525-0986 or HospiceVolunteer@jkv.org
- Men's breakfast will be Saturday August the 13th. You will not want to miss this gathering. The time has been changed to 7:00 am for breakfast. As soon as we finish eating and cleaning up, we will carpool to the Kansas City Downtown Airport where Duane Muckey will give us a tour of the Children's Mercy Air transportation hanger. We will drive the church van and any other vehicles needed to get to the Airport. We are inviting spouses and others to breakfast and go on the field trip.
It will be helpful to have a head count for breakfast and the trip. If you can’t make the trip then please join us for breakfast anyway. More information and instructions will be sent as we get closer to the August date. Please mark your calendar for this fun and interesting field trip.
Please RSVP to this email or call Mike Ditty at 816.682.0386.
Save-the-Date / At a Glance:
Sunday Summer Worship:
Sun, July 3 – Sun, Sept 4th
10:00 am ONE worship service in the Sanctuary
(2 services will resume on Sept 11th)
Thurs, Aug 11th
11:15 am Keenagers
Keenagers at Wayside Waifs and then out to lunch afterwards.
Sat, Aug 13
7:00 am Men’s Prayer Breakfast
Join us for breakfast at an earlier time and then carpool to the Kansas City Downtown Airport where Duane Muckey will give a tour of the Children’s Mercy Air Transportation Hangar. Families also welcome!
Sun, Aug 14th
Pastor Kate’s last Sunday
10:00 am Summer Worship Service
11:00 am Card Shower and Reception for Hogue’s
Sun, Aug 21st
Youth Sunday – Montreat Campers Lead Worship
10:00 am Summer Worship Service
Tues, Sept 6th
Rev. Alex Wales begins as Interim Pastor
Sun, September 11th
Keep on the lookout for more info about our fun kickoff celebration!
You won’t want to miss it!!
9:00 Contemporary Service
11:00 Traditional Service